Wednesday, October 13, 2004

my autumn leaf

just wanted to write about this season...& all it's wonders....

Autumn is almost here!
u can tell from the cool, crisp air & my dry skin...
i love the fall season but i don't like when my skin & lips start chapping so bad,
& my allergies start again...first in the Spring then Fall...
but i try not to pay attention to that.
what i love most is the changing of colors around me
the leaves change into these glorious earthy hues & they're my favorite colors -
burnt sienna, bright golden yellows & fuschia-reds & rustic browns...
when i stare out the bus window every morning
it also gives me the distinct feeling that change is coming...
Fall is all about changes.
i think our bodies start adjusting to the cold weather this time
& so i tend to eat more, sleep more...want to do less...
& sometimes i catch a cold, jsut like my kids
& take some sick days just to take care of myself
& sometimes them when they get sick,
& drink lots of teas & sleep all day...
also, i start becoming more introspective,
it's the season for looking inside one's Self &
checking in on what "stuff" need to be LET GO of...
u know, kinda like spring cleaning but more on the spiritual side...
it coincides with the time i change my wardrobe from summer to fall
& then into winter...
so i start thinking of warmer clothes,
the soft plush sweaters & long down coats & comforters that protect me from the cold...
& i also start thinking of protecting my inner self from whatever dark thoughts
or whatever dark moods might come my way...
i notice that about myself... (& other people too, i guess)
i get more moody in the winter...
So i got the whole autumn to prepare & strengthen myself...
i started taking Yoga classes again, that always helps,
then i am planning a mini weekend get-away from the city...
anywhere not so expensive, maybe Mystic, CT again...
with my family, around the christmas holidays,
just to feel some old-time country sort of festivities,
like i wish i could hear some carollers,
i miss that from when i was a kid growing up,
i used to go carolling a lot with my church chorus
...I just love Christmas songs!
it makes your heart glow...& i get teary eyed sometimes...
& a fireplace during christmas would be nice too...

so, i really love Autumn with all its wind & rain & falling leaves,
Mother nature has a way of preparing us for what winter has in store for us...
& i love that it signifies the coming of the holy-days...
thanksgiving, Christmas & the New Year.

* i got one little story to share about my boy...
one afternoon we were driving with the kids in our van (to do some errands),
all of a sudden he said " Daddy, stop the car now!"
since we were on a highway, he couldn't just stop the car so
we asked him, why Diego?
what he said really blew me away...
he said, "cause i want to get a leaf to give to Mommy..."
he is just the sweetest kid...
he must've remembered all those times that we would pick up leaves
that we like from the ground & inspect them & choose our favorites
to bring home & make into our autumn art on the walls or desks or
bookmarkers...
he remembers how much i love them...&
somehow i'm really happy we've instilled this love & respect of nature in our kids too...
it totally made my day...
even if we couldn't stop the car to pick up some leaves then,
i squeezed his hand & said "thanks for being so sweet my boy!"

( i can only wish that when he grows up, he won't lose this sweet innocence,
this sensitivity to little things that we mothers & women adore...but that's probably wishful thinking)


p.s.
i wanted to write more, next time i will write about:
3) watching Manhattan fade away from view (on my commute home on the ferry)
4) the final debate Kerry vs.Bush tonight (Kerry wins of course.)
5) my new fave shows on tv - desperate housewives, lost, & the apprentice, Extreme makeover home edition (because of Ty - my crush)

6) what else, thinking of U once in a while...once too often...
song for U -"i can't make u love me" by Bonnie Raitt


No comments: