Sunday, May 10, 2020

Ode to our Mother

This is for Mother's Day


https://youtu.be/aJxrX42WcjQ   You Raised Me Up (by Josh Groban)



This song “YOU RAISED ME UP” is dedicated to our ever steadfast, faithful and loving mother…. Leticia Gaviola Velasquez.

Every time I listen to this song, it brings tears to my eyes and chills down my spine….
It is so true of our mother….Leticia….our quiet, unassuming, humble and profoundly spiritual & faithful…mother.

She is a wonderful human being.  She has led us in her own quiet ways, from darkness; from the forest of confusion and the stormy troubled waters of our childhood… to where we are now.  She raised all of us, and also had the time, energy & compassion to raise most of her grandchildren starting with my older brother - Joe's children...Michelle, Mark & Melanie; then mine... Malaya & Diego Ray...and even our youngest brother - Rocky's children....Jaelyn & Olivia....where did she get all her energy... I wondered?  and always the answer will come up as... she has an inner spiritual well always filled with unconditional love for all her children....

I still remember, during the Seventies when our Dad had to leave us to immigrate to the United States of America, in order to be able to support all of us….It was Martial Law in the Philippines then....We were left at a loss… about our future.  My Mom, I know in my young heart, had the most difficult time…She had to raise 6 children almost on her own… having given up her teaching career a long time ago, and Daddy being the sole breadwinner….She did not know what to do…
It was very tough going at first, but I watched her as she slowly, through the years…through her deep Faith in a God that watches over all of us….slowly, pulled herself together….I was only about 13 years old, my older brother, Jojo 14, and the rest of my brothers, James, Jason, Jonathan….12,11,10 years old respectively….and our newborn in the family, baby Rocky, barely one year old.

She is the reason we are where we are right now….Rocky, that little baby, is now an ER doctor who is heroically fighting in the trenches of this Coronavirus warfare…in NYC…. Jonathan, another ER doctor in Perry Georgia, fighting the same battle to save lives every day.  Kuya Joe, our truck driver who is among the ESSENTIAL workers who deliver what Americans need during this crisis.  James and Jason, in the Philippines, always doing their best and always doing their part to fulfill the responsibilities of taking care of our aging father; who retired in the Philippines…. And me, I am now a TEACHER, trying to do my part in this landscape….I also sing, thanks to my Mom…who taught us how to play guitar as kids, and our Dad - Tommy, who loved to sing to us....they exposed us to all this wonderful, groovy music as we were growing up.  I will be forever grateful.

Every lyric of this song, “You Raised Me Up”…. Sings our praises to our dear mother, how much of a HERO she is to each one of us….How, we would not be here, successful in our own careers, and still believing in a GOD that never FAILS… Her LOVE was always our shining LIGHT, our only BEACON, she never failed us….we were together and in spite of the broken shambles of a home we were trying to recreate in our own hearts….Knowing that she is always there for us was enough…enough for us to keep going, to be STRONG and support one another….This is what we learned from a mother who never ever gave up. 

What we are going through collectively right now, during this global Coronavirus pandemic, is only making us stronger than ever….Think of all the mothers and fathers who raised us….

“YOU RAISED ME UP SO I CAN STAND ON MOUNTAINS,
YOU RAISED ME UP TO WALK ON STORMY SEAS,
I AM STRONG WHEN I AM ON YOUR SHOULDERS,
YOU RAISED ME UP… TO MORE THAN I CAN BE.”

Our parents did not raise us to give up now….We are from a strong breed of humans, we are going to get through this.  Together, at home, wherever you are, STAY STRONG… and thank your precious mothers and fathers.







No comments: