Thursday, June 04, 2020

The Metaphor of my Broken Arm


When I fell upon our stairs
Our house just caught on fire
Everything seemed to have broken
Even my right arm broke,
I had a radial bone fracture….
This to me was a symbol of
What needed to be destroyed
What realities needed to be shattered
This was the starting point
The dawning of a new age for me, my family…
And strange as it may seem…
January of 2020, seemed to be a dawning of a new Age globally.

Personally, I needed to get rid of old misconceptions,
Of what used to give me comfort,
I had to step outside the box of my comfort zone…
We all have material things, possessions that we can’t let go of,
Now, these circumstances in my life
Forced me to let go, Let God, as they say…
Let the Universe unfold as it should ….
So they took away all our possessions inside that house…
Symbol of Non-attachment…
I learned to not long for those material things,
I learned not to miss certain comforts of Home…
Then we, as a family, had to move from place to place
From a hotel to an apartment,
The physical move as well as the spiritual, mental challenges it presented
Was a bit overwhelming at first…
We were tired, it was exhausting physically,
Mentally, we had to adapt to new surroundings, new ways of being,
Spiritually, we had to find ourselves amidst chaos.
This was a temporary existence,
It was even more apparent as everything around us was changing too.
There was a Coronavirus pandemic affecting our country & the World.
It was starting to get worse here,
Mortality rates in our communities were on the rise exponentially….
January, there were about 35 deaths due to Covid 19,
Now, 5 months later, 109,000 deaths in the United States of America alone,
1.89 Million confirmed cases…
So, I think to myself…
Everything in this world is Temporary…
Change is the only Constant.

Now, winter is over,
Spring is done,
Summer is here…it is June of 2020,
We are slowly returning to our old Home,
People are wearing masks to be safe,
People are social distancing,
Businesses are slowly opening up...
Some parts of the United States are seeing a slow decline of Coronavirus cases
And deaths are leveling & tapering off,
There are still certain states that are on the rise,
And possible resurgence due to another Crisis…
The racial divide because of police brutality
In our nation…is a systemic problem…
Racism is showing its ugly head once more…
There is much political unrest,
protests on the streets of major cities,
some anarchists looting & rioting,
The National Guard & local police
At times have been ordered to use tear gas & rubber bullets on peaceful protesters….

Truly, this cannot go on….
We are at a crossroads once again in our History,
A fork in the road wherein… we are at the Tipping Point…
If we do not choose wisely and with wisdom in our hearts,
Our nation might be further divided.

Now, my fractured arm is almost healing….
We are going Home soon…
Now comes the healing of our country…I hope,
The fractures in our society symbolizes as a collective,
False ideologies of racism & anarchy…
Of being too right wing, versus, too left-leaning,
Of Us versus Them.
Maybe Healing will occur,
Maybe this is our year of Transformation,
Maybe 2020 will represent a clear vision of the Future?
And what it holds for all of us…
We are stronger, together, United.

I am healing now…
I pray fervently, that You all are too…
Deep inside, let’s forgive each other….
Let’s continue to pray for each other….
Let’s learn Respect for every one’s basic rights
As a free person….equal not apart from us.
If there is one thing that this Coronavirus is teaching us…
It Is that we are mere specks of dust in this Universe,
& if we don’t see each other as ourselves,
If we don’t care for one another as we care for ourselves…
Capable of getting & transmitting this contagion,
If we cannot see each other as Equals
All worthy of basic human rights…
Then I don’t really know what else to say….
I am HEALING my wounds….
Are you???



No comments: